Sunday, April 25, 2010
Gender Neutral Housing
The topic of gender neutral housing has been one that has been discussed by councils in colleges all over the world for ages. As it pertains to Juniata, we do not allow gender neutral housing as of yet nor do I see it happening anytime in the near future but why?? No one really knows the exact reason but it doesn't make much sense. In going to college, are we not becoming adults and have the rights to live where we want with who we want and do as we please as long as it doesn't break the law? I for one believe we should. Anyone else who does not go to college our age has the right to live with whomever they choose whether it be a man or a women so why not allow that on campus? We have every right to choose to live with whoever we want regardless of the situation or imposed "rules" of that campuses council. Whether men and women are allowed to room with each other or not, whatever it may be that is feared of happening by those in charge of these students such as pregnancy or whatever it may be can still happen. Juniata does not impose a curfew or anything and whoever is in your room is not regulated whatsoever. I personally have had my girlfriend stay with me quite often over night, and although she does not go to this school, she has not caused any problems nor do the RA's or RD's have any problem of any sorts with it. I feel that if we are seen as "adults" than we should be able to make "adult" decisions. As long as its not directly hurting someone who's to really say whom we can live with? If someone has a problem with living with females or males then there are other housing options that will allow them to live with someone they are much more comfortable with so why not allow it. I don't see the housing arrangements changing anytime soon but I feel quite strongly that nothing bad would happen if gender neutral housing was introduced to the Juniata campus, after all we are adults and can make decisions on our own.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

No comments:
Post a Comment